By Ali Mutanje
Babirye’s support Team
Flavia Byekwaso – Vice President Administration
Richard Muhumuza – Vice Technical
Aminah Mande – General Secretary
Harriet Margret Opolot – Vice General Secretary
Aida Nambusi Kibedi – Treasurer
Yahaya Sengabi – Publicity Secretary
The race for the Uganda Netball Federation hot seat is on. Sarah Babirye is one of those in the front for the top position. She is a renowned legislator and many believe she has what it takes to change the sport.
Babirye has been on the outskirts of the current regime. This gives her an extra edge considering how poorly run the organization has been by the outgoing cabinet.
She has been advocating for the National She-cranes during her time as a Member of Parliament serving as Youth Representative for the Central Region in the 10th Parliament.
Babirye says she needed to be part of the federation to make any changes to the game. And out of this bore the need for her to contest for the presidency of the organization.
In her manifesto:
- Securing a home for the Netball family in Uganda.
- Taking Netball to the grassroots in Uganda.
- Marketing and Sponsorship of the game of Netball.
- Facilities development in the country.
- Building capacity of the Netball stakeholders.
- Recognizing and Rewarding Excellence in Netball.
- Introducing Corporate Netball in Uganda.
- Establishment of the Netball Secretariat in the Uganda Netball Federation.
- Strengthen culture through Netball.
- Promotion of equality in the game.
- Professionalizing Netball.
- Proper accountability.
The former legislator says she prides on honesty which is a key factor in running the association.
“I am a strong advocate of honesty and integrity when it comes to working with colleagues. I am a great team worker and open to working with all manner of persons but if I have a fault, then it is being too honest, questioning perceived wrongdoings and always prepared to lead a crusade to right the wrongs whenever I find fault.
“As a Federation, we need a leader who is hardworking, selfless, proactive, willing to serve and above all, possesses a listening ear. A leader who is willing to fight to restore our battered image and project the UNF as a shining example for other associations to emulate.”