By Edward Tumusiime
The Big League is the second tier of the Federation of Uganda Football Association tournaments. It was founded in 2009 and comprises two sub-divisions, the Elgon Group and the Rwenzori Group.
Each group consists of eight teams and the table leaders from each sub-division qualifies directly to the Uganda Premier League. The teams that finish second and third from both groups are then pitted together in a 4-way promotional play off where the winner joins the other two table leaders as the third team to be promoted.
Below are the teams in their respective groups for the 2020/2021 campaign.
THE ELGON GROUP
1. Arua Hill SC formerly Doves All Stars FC based in Arua.
2. Kataka FC of Mbale in the Eastern region.
3. Gaddafi FC “the soldier boys” from Jinja Gaddafi Army barracks.
4. Maroons FC also known as Prisons owned by the Uganda Prisons Services.
5. Calvary FC based in Yumbe, West Nile.
6. Black Power FC formerly Bukedea Town Council FC
7. Paidha Black Angels FC based in Zombo, West Nile.
8. Mbale Heroes FC based in Mbale, Eastern region.
THE RWENZORI GROUP
1.Tooro United FC based in Fort Portal, western Uganda.
2. Proline FC, Kampala.
3. Nyamityobora FC based in Mbarara, western region.
4. Water FC, Kampala.
5. Ndejje University FC also known as Ndejje University based in Luwero.
6. Luweero United FC based in Kasaana Luweero.
7. Kigezi Home boys FC based in Kabale, Western region.
8. Terrazzo and Tiles FC from Mbarara, Western region.